Mr. Zaid has deep roots in the Canadian and international cannabis communities. He is a leading expert, thought-leader and sought-after speaker on cannabis policy, medical cannabis taxation, insurance coverage, and advocacy.
Prior to joining Aurora, Mr. Zaid founded Canada’s most active and high-profile medical cannabis non-profit advocacy organization, Canadians for Fair Access to Medical Marijuana (“CFAMM”). Mr. Zaid, on behalf of CFAMM, has played a critical leadership role in engaging with a wide variety of policymakers in opposition to inappropriate taxation of prescription medical cannabis, among many other issues of key concern to patients and the broader cannabis sector. Mr. Zaid has received broad recognition for his efforts and successes:
- Was the first individual in Canada to successfully advocate for a major insurance company to cover the costs of medically prescribed cannabis, creating momentum for other insurance companies to follow suit
- Was honoured in Financial Post’s Top-five Innovators “Mavericks and Movers” edition (April 2018)
- Has demonstrated the ability to drive change on a national level, create and execute strategic communication initiatives, mobilize grassroots movements, and propel organizational growth
- Has strong relationships with Canadian and international stakeholders, governments, patients, and the healthcare community
- Was called to testify as an expert witness before House of Commons committees on cannabis policy